I’ve done a lot of tangling lately but not a lot of blogging. A lot on my mind but no energy to blog about it all, probably because of having so much on my mind. On the other hand, I’ve managed to upload pictures of some of my recent work, including the most recent Made by Joey Challenge plus a few stragglers:
Okay, so the shading’s a little sloppy, but it was fun. I’ve always loved B’Twined. And I figured it would enjoy playing with its BFFs, Betweed and Betwixt.
Girdy is another great fun one. I tried something a little different on the right side — but I got myself mixed up drawing the “platforms” and ended up with a line through the beams. Oh well. I also used some Skye, a new one from a Diva Challenge a while back.That column with spirals is a new one I came up with that I call Psiral. Who knows, maybe I’ll actually post the step-out one of these days.
The tangle of focus for this one is Gnarly. When I was a kid, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was big, so “gnarly” seemed like “current” slang. It was only later that I realized that all their lingo was recycled 50s/60s surfer slang. I thought it would be fun to do some ocean themed stuff. So here are some waves and squids and … jellyfish? Weird oysters? Caviar? I don’t know for sure.
Socc is the focus here. I worked on this one while I was in Kansas City for the AP English Language reading. Have you ever spent 8 hours a day for a week grading AP Exam essays? Well, I have.
Well, that’s all the ones I can find files of for now. I also did the Maryhill one but I don’t know where it ended up.
Hello one and all! I’m actually posting challenges from the last 2 weeks because my life has been so crazy lately. I suppose I’ll start with the more recent ones:
Diva Challenge 268
This challenge was called “A bit-o-black.” I decided pretty quickly that I wanted to do something with a lot of black pearls. so I focused on orb-y patterns. The string, randomly selected from Tanglepatterns.com, is number 142. It was fun, because I got to play with some of my favorite tangles — Boo*Kee, Oybay, Purk, and Onamata. I also worked in some Quibble, Akoya, and one non-orb pattern, D-Vine. The part that was less fun was filling in all the orbs. My ultra-fine-tip black sharpie was all like, “ha ha, nope,” so I ended up using a gel-ink pen, which I think ended up okay. For shading I went with a darker pencil than the HB I usually use — I think it was a 3B.
Made by Joey 113
This one was a lot of fun. It’s based on a Roman Numeral XII; the number is a lot more obvious than it is in a lot of my others I’ve done for this challenge series. The tangles were Chemystery, Cruffle, Garlic Cloves (really they look more like watermelons or beach balls to me, but I like the pattern anyway), Ipso, and Verdigogh. All of these are fun except for Verdigogh which I’ve never gotten along with for some reason. I think it ended up working for me this time, though. The real fun was the coloring. For the atoms or whatever they’re supposed to be in Chemystery, I used my Sharpies. I wasn’t actually expecting them to be so translucent, but I kind of like how they look like multi-colored bubbles. For the “ladders” of Chem and the “stalk” of Verd I used some metalic Crayola markers, and I’m pleased with how they turned out. For the rest I used my favorite colored pencils: before I started Zentangle earlier this year, I was on a real coloring kick. Looking at this now, I realize that I never really shaded it, but I actually kind of like it this way.
Now let’s step in the wayback machine:
Diva Challenge 267
This one is a duotangle of Drupe and Pokeroot. I’ve never been a huge fan of Pokeroot, to be honest, but I like a good challenge. Once again, the coloring was the real fun here. Oh, and yeah, some of those are actually Pokeleaf instead of Pokeroot.
Joey Challenge 112
This one is a Monotangle on Knightsbridge. It’s one of those basic patterns that I actually try not do too often so that I don’t get too much in a comfort zone with it. I took some inspiration from Margaret Bremmer’s expanded guide to the tangle — if you haven’t checked those out you really should. I made an attempt at Knightspeek, which I thought was really cool since it resembles a pattern I learned and loved in elementary school — and I kind of screwed it up made it uniquely my own through unplanned variations. I also attempted some mashups of my own — Knightsdox (Paradox with alternating Black and white — needs some work) and K’nzeppel, which should be self-explanatory. I also did a “Knightsbridge inside of Knighstbridge” I’m calling “Knightsception” (and yes, I know that’s not really what “Inception” means). And since this was all otherwise black and white, a little color up top.