Made by Joey Weekly Challenge 101

Here is another weekly challenge thing, this time from the blog madebyjoey. Read about the challenge at that link: basically, the challenge was to tangle the Roman numeral 1, I. Also part of the challenge was to use three specific tangles, Cle, Dillo, and Fleavy. Here is what I came up with:

DSCN0483
Madebyjoey Weekly Challenge 101

This was a fun one. I liked the structure provided by the string and two of the suggested were new to me. Fleavy made for a great ribbon running across the circle. It reminds me of my favorite “cable” tangle, Zander. The main thing is the leaves. As I mentioned on my post for Diva’s challenge, I’m not a huge fan of leaves, maybe because they never feel like they come out right. But part of the therapeutic effect of this kind of drawing is getting myself comfortable with “less than perfect.” If I can find something positive in a messed up pen stroke, I can apply that to my own life and defeat the negative self-talk that I deal with daily. In fact, I discovered that leafy tangles are great for covering up mistakes sometimes!

I like Dillo, although I didn’t really get it the first few times I attempted it. It seemed like a natural fit for the top of the circle. I added some auras in an attempt to get a Crescent-Moon effect, and I’m pretty pleased with how it turned out.

I wasn’t quite as sure what to do with Cle. I went for a sort of stacking effect — I’m not sure how well it turned out. If I had to do it over again, I would probably do something different with it, like a border or something.

For the central column, I went with Riki Tiki, adding in some black-and-white alternations for fun. Behind this, I knew I wanted grid patterns; I eventually settled on Gottago and Pand. Gottago is really fun and a lot easier than it looks (although now that I look more closely I kind of wish I’d done different shading. Oh well). The same is true with Pand, a ridiculously simple pattern to draw that is open to a wide range of variation. In fact, my next project (I swear, this is super addictive!) is a Pand monotangle using Pand as a string. As many different things as you can do with the pattern, I’m looking forward to the variety I can try.

Advertisements

Diva’s Weekly Challenge 256

LettheWookieWin

Weekly Challenge #1

Well, here it is: my first attempt at the Diva’s Weekly Challenge. This challenge was a duotangle with two of her original Tangles, Boo*Kee and Artoo.

I have to admit that I wasn’t originally taken with either of these, but once I got a sense of the possibilities for variation on Boo*Kee I started really having fun with it. As for Artoo — well, for whatever reason I can never seem to get leaves just right. Still, I think I managed to do some creative things with it.

This is ZIA, not an actual piece of Zentangle art. I used a full page; for the string, I started with a tribute to the two tangles: it’s a series of orbs with leaves sticking out. I decorated the leaves with Boo*Kee and the orbs with Artoo. I also snuck a couple of my other favorite tangles in. I hope that’s not cheating? Anyway, here it is.

Zentangle attempts

professortutt

I’ve recently started playing around with Zentangle. My wife did a workshop on it a few months back and I finally decided to give it a try. I haven’t had any official training (although I did buy a book about it…at Half-Price. Well, somebody got money for it somewhere) and I’m not much of an artist (or very consistent with blogging), but I’ve found it to be a relaxing (albeit time-consuming) habit. Probably better for me than playing Candy Crush all the time.

I’m going to be using this space to share some of my creations. Here’s one I’m working on now:

ZIA Rain Project

Sorry for the crappy picture quality. I’ll try to scan the next one. Anyway, here’s what’s going on here: the zigzaggy things are actually an Official-type Tangle-thing called “Rain.” No, it doesn’t look anything at all like rain. That’s a Zentangly thing; you get used…

View original post 104 more words